Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Falling Off The Wagon

This week has posed a serious challenge for me in terms of remaining on course with the Food Rules experiment. Lately I find myself skipping meals, and grabbing late night drive-thru items. When I finally do decide to sit down and eat, I tend to eat double the servings. After polishing off the value meal, I feel a sense of guilt and then I promise myself to return to the diet plan the following day. The next day comes around, and once again I rationalize why I just don't have the time or the energy to follow through with the diet. Instead, I feel compelled to grab something fast as a matter of convenience rather than because it is good for me.

Another problem I'm having with healthy eating is the holidays which are now here. Today is Halloween, and I just know that I will be around plenty of candy. One becomes two, and so forth, and then before you know it, I've had half of the bag. Even if I return to the diet on Monday, it will only be just a few weeks before Thanksgiving arrives, and then it's back to eating pumpkin pie, two or more healthy servings of cranberry sauce and other holiday favorites.

Although I know these next two months will be challenging, I am prepared to return to the plan tomorrow and see this thing through. During the time that I have participated in this experiment, I have found tremendous improvements in my energy level and overall health. I really enjoy being on the diet, it's just recently with my current demands that I have found it difficult to get back on track. Baby steps I guess.

1 comment:

  1. one of the insidious things about good eating habits and bad is the fact that, well, they are "habits." so one day of bad eating leads to two, to three, etc. whereas, one day of good eating can lead to two, three, etc. so even during the holidays, the challenge is to continue on w/ the adjustment of your diet. determine, for example, how you participate in holidays w/o "falling off the wagon." definitely hard, and i do it myself (i had 2 reese's peanut butter cups for breakfast this morning, for example). but the key is to keep at the challenge long enough that the old habit is replace by the new. that rule #64 about exceptions becomes just that, an exception. not a guilty one, an enjoyable one. an aberration to your everyday in which happy meals seem to you the most unhappy meal of choice!

    ReplyDelete