Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Time Crunch

I am finding a recent challenge with the rules that require you to limit your portion sizes, and also chewing until your meal virtually becomes a liquid smoothie in your mouth. I have always been accustomed to eating "healthy" servings of food, and tend to put them down rather quickly. Since I maintain a very active lifestyle and expend many calories, I find that I stay hungry throughout the day unless I pile on the additional servings during meals. As an employee of the university I have access to the Orleans Room and usually take advantage of the salad bar and vegetarian line. This convenience makes it more accessible for me to choose healthier food items, but it does not stop me from loading up on the portion sizes; this actually creates an adverse effect because my rationale is that since I am eating things that are good for me, then I should increase their amounts too.

A problem with my current occupation as a campus police officer is that I have a very limited time to really sit down and enjoy the meal. I often have to cut lunches short, eat on the go, or guzzle it down so that I may respond to the radio if an emergency situation arises. These emergency calls that I receive are often frequent, and hinder my ability to stay true to some of the rules within the diet. To make-up the difference I will overeat later on in the day, increase portion sizes, and attempt to get as close to a "healthy" meal as my time allows, or just skip altogether. I know these eating habits are not a good practice, and I am currently trying to find better solutions for these types of situations, so if anyone has any advice on these matters I could really use it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment