Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

seasoning alternatives.




As I walked through farmers market I was contemplating on what I should eat for dinner. As I got to one of the last stands I noticed I hadn't cooked meat in awhile. I ended up buying 2 pounds of shank. I had never heard of this meat before, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I thought about how I usually cook meat; I use butter, tons of salt, lots of pepper, tony's, etc. when seasoning. I continued to walk through the booths thinking how I could make my meat have good flavor without all the sodium. At the very last stand in the back they were selling peppers. I have never seen meet cooked with actual peppers but I though perhaps the peppers could replace a lot of the added seasoning. I bought a mixed bag with bell peppers, Jalapeno peppers, spicy small red peppers, and mild yellow peppers and left.
The meat was very different from what I am used to. It was extremely thick with a good bit of fat. I rinsed the meat and cut it into pieces so it would not take as long to cook. While I let the pan get hot, I cut up the peppers and put a few in before the meat, occasionally sprinkling in some water. Next, I put the meat in and let it cook for about five minutes before put large pieces of peppers on top. I added a tiny bit of sea salt. I let the meat sit for another five minutes then I added some water before I let it finish cooking.
To my surprise the meat turned out delicious and spicy even though only five ingredients were used.
-peppers
-shank
-olive oil
-water
-sea salt

No comments:

Post a Comment