Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Late Night, Noodles, and Kimchi

So it's about 11 something pm as I'm working on a sociology paper and skyping with friends. I was hungry and couldn't help myself but I made some noodles and added some kimchi. For those who don't know what kimchi is, it's pickled cabbages and it's sooo yummy and from Korea. I felt horrible cause it's late and the noodles aren't great for you, but if it's any constellation, I only use some of the spice package. DON'T, I repeat DON'T EVER use the whole spice package that comes in the noodle bags cause you should really read the sodium content, it's crazy. I try to use less than half and don't drink the soup afterward either.

So as I'm eating, I really think about what Briana said about food bonding and being a part of an experience and cultural experience. I'm from Vietnam where there are so many midnight snack stands. I remember when I visited Vietnam I would go eat clams and have drinks around midnight or if I wanted noodles there would be a stand for that too and that was just part of Vietnamese night life. I grew up watching a lot of Korean dramas and it never goes to fail that the characters somehow whine up going to a noodle stand in the middle of the night and eating away their problems or bonding over a drink. It's such a big cultural thing. So it's hard to avoid some food or some food rituals because that allows you to participate in that culture. Just something I was reflecting on. I kind of want another bowl of noodles, but I guess I'll wait to have some for breakfast...

3 comments:

  1. I've heard of Kimchi but didn't know what it was! Cool! Would it be kind of like Sauerkraut or not at all?

    That's really interesting too about the cultural habit of a "midnight snack." I guess each culture has their specific traditions in regards to food, many of which we don't know about simply because we don't live there. Thanks for sharing Tien, I love learning about other cultures like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I ever really had Sauerkraut, but know what it is. I think the idea is the same because they kind of pickle it. But kimchi is spicier cause they put a lot of peppers in, but not too hot. I love it. I'll have to get you some one of these days.

    ReplyDelete