Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Food Rules: The Edible Experiment, Week Seven

Journal Entry
Week Seven
October 14, 2010

Rule 63 “Cook”

In my Farmer’s Market post a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned a particular booth there that was selling salt-free spice and seasoning blends. “Moroccan,” “Greek Blend,” and “Italian Blend” were among the many that this particular vendor (a sweet, somewhat older lady) had for sale. (Their names were much more appetizing sounding; I’m sorry my memory isn’t doing them justice. But I know they would be delicious in “cooking ethnically” as ekkerr posted below!)

Purchase one of these delicious blends I did, and last week, was able to use it in a few different dishes that I – yes, I actually – cooked!

I had bought the “All & Sundry Seasoning,” which claims that it is perfect for Soups and Stews, Meats, Roasts, and Casseroles. Best of all, no salt! The vendor recommended using it on chicken as a spice rub before cooking, too.

The ingredients are as follows: “Lots of love, Parsley, Marjoram, Celery, Savory, Thyme, Sage, Onion, Pepper, Basil, Garlic, Bay Leaf, Rosemary, and Sun Dried Tomato.

The first time I used this spice mixture, I actually had made a beef stew with carrots, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in my crockpot (You guys - crockpots are awesome for busy college students! Simply put in any ingredients of your choice, turn on low, and voila! Six to eight hours later, just as you are arriving home starving from school, you have a delicious hot meal ready to eat! I even hear you can make cakes and stuff in those things. That’ll have to be cooking experiment #2). I used the All & Sundry blend in the stew and it did add a nice extra layer to the flavor. I also used it as a rub on stewed pork chops that I made, and added a little extra garlic and sliced onion and cooked those on low for about an hour or so until they were nice and tender. Overall, while I still sometimes feel like I need extra salt, I really like having the control over how much salt I add into whatever it is I am cooking.

And, I’ve always loved cooking, but living as one person sometimes proves everyday cooking to be a challenge: proportions and measurements for just one person, leftovers, more leftovers, frozen leftovers a week later… you get the idea. Plus I do not always have the time or the fresh ingredients on hand that it takes to actually cook a hot meal. So in the event that I can’t cook for myself any given week, I just head out to my family’s house where mom always has a hot meal going…mmm, and speaking of, I can’t wait for cooler weather and mom’s gumbo! (I’ll have to bring some of the Spice blend and have her put it to the test, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment