Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Microwaved Vegetables

I had the busiest weekend of my year (also known as sorority recruitment) and I came across a contradiction in the Michael Pollen diet. I'm really trying to keep my diet healthy (which comes in handy for this experiment) and follow the "Whole Foods" diet as much as my schedule/budget allows. This last weekend I found it IMPOSSIBLE to cook for myself; I barely had time to eat at all. So microwaved meals from the C-Store and mac n' cheese from flambeaux's became a staple in my diet. I started thinking about all the pre-packaged microwave meals that are offered in the C-store as well as groceries all over the country that are marketed towards the health-conscious. Amy's certified organic meals are even sold at whole foods as "healthy" vegan options to fast-eating. However, according to Pollen, just because a food is labeled "organic" does not make it good for you. I started to wonder about the new line of vegetables that you steam-cook by microwaving. Are these bad for you too? All of these options are healthier than the cup of greasy cheese and noodles I get from flambeaux's. So this caused me to question: how far is too far in the search for healthy foods? Should we always snub our noses at microwaved options or can we sometimes substitute the healthiest options (fresh foods; homecooked meals) for time and budget considerations in order to maximize our success. Microwave vegetables=more money in our wallets and time on our hands. If it is relatively healthy, how can this be a bad thing?

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think that we just have such a strong stigma to anything microwavable. Its our own "food prejudice". We are conditioned to think that if it works in a micro than its bad. But stoves and ovens are super healthy? I mean, there was a time when we fired up everything the "natural" way...but is there really a "natural" way to eating? Is cooking "natural"? I mean, by cooking we are ultimately changing the way a food group grows...oh what to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how it would seem unnatural to cook you food, but I have actually read that when humans began to cook their food it was a pretty revolutionary evolution in our nutrition. Cooking certain foods allows our body to digest and metabolize the nutrients more easily, and even eliminates some naturally occurring toxins or bacterias that if eaten raw would not be good for the body. That said, overcooking vegetables in particular can destroy a lot of their nutrients, so lightly steaming or boiling is recommended. I found this link so I'd have something to back me up, for I am fallible.

    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier

    ReplyDelete
  3. I explored a bit more after I posted this to see when exactly cooking came into practice in the human timeline, and found this kind of exciting website: http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq3.html

    Also, side-tangent question: how long exactly do humans have to had done something in order for it to be considered "natural"? At what point exactly did human practices become "unnatural", or was it just a gradual moving away from our overlappings with other animals??

    ReplyDelete