Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Plan to break the Rules

Last week I was the most successful yet at sticking to Food Rules. On Sunday I made a big trip to Winn Dixie.... whole wheat pasta, vodka sauce with real ingredients and no preservatives, tons and tons of veggies, brown rice, salads, olive oil, vinegar... These are things that I ate the whole week. Veggies on a bed of brown rice with teriyaki sauce is my staple dinner now. Its so filling and I get a huge surge of energy after. My only slip up last week, and I'm not even sure if this is a slip up, was getting a coffee at CC's. I wonder if coffee is breaking the rules?? And MILK... milk is a big question of mine..... In the diet book Skinny Bitch the authors have a whole chapter devoted to how disgusting milk is and how it should not be included in a healthy diet. I have always bought skim milk, and in Food Rules it says do not by anything that is 'low fat' or 'fat free'.... and that is exactly what skim milk is.

Anyway, I only ate meat once in five days, which is a huge change for me. I have discovered a useful trick to help me stick to food rules: PLAN when you are going to break the rules. On Sunday, when I made my pilgrimage to Winn Dixie, I told myself that if I was perfect all week and did not eat meat once, I would go to Raising Canes on friday and get a huge, delicious, greasy meal. All week I looked forward to this and stuck to the rules just so that meal on Friday would taste even better. And let me tell you..... it was SO good. So, so good. So now I'm back to a new week to try again, hopefully to be just as successful.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think coffee is cheating. I drink a cup or two a day, and I've heard its good for your heart as long as its not in excess. If you want to stay away from caffeine, just opt for half-caf or decaf (which isn't entirely 100% caffeine free, but that's another story :). You could always do 2% milk; I always ask for a non-fat latte.

    Now I've been drinking skim milk for years, too. Granted, it does have 1-2 more grams of sugar than 1% or 2%, and since your body only needs 30 grams of healthy fat a day, 1% or 2% milk won't really throw off that balance. I just prefer skim milk because I find it gets the coldest... I love COLD COLD COLD milk and have even been known to put ice-cubes in my cereal to make my milk super cold. (Weird, I know, but whatever floats your boat, right? ;)

    I too, have heard that milk/dairy can "ruin" a diet plan; however, your body needs the vitamins and calcium that it gets from dairy, and drinking 2 - 3 eight oz. glasses of reduced fat or fat-free milk a day can actually help you keep a slimmer waistline, while building stronger bones. (Watch the commercial, it'll say it all right there for you, lol)

    So personally, I'm of the opinion that 1 gram of extra sugar in the fat-free milk won't kill you, but that going without milk will. So therefore, I will continue getting my non-fat lattes (or non-fat half-caf lattes) at CCs or PJs or better yet, making them with my French Press (only the best $10 I ever spent!) Delish! :)

    Now if you get a frappe or mochasippi or whatever CC's equivalent to a really fattening, really sugary caffeinated drink is, well then that might undo your veggie-filled week. But throw in a couple of spin or Zumba classes or a jog or two and you should be ok, since, after all, "it is ok to break the rules every once in a while." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also disconcerted by Pollan's failure to mention milk, and how the reduced-fat section seemed to disqualify 1% or 2% milk out of the diet. However unnatural and perverse and disgusting humans may be to continue the infantile tendency towards this sweet succulent subsistence, I will never stop drinking milk. And a lot of it. I feel that if I were to drink whole milk at my current rate of consumption, I would ride my bicycle very, very slowly and become a bogged-down waddler. So I will continue my organic 1% habit and consider it something overlooked by Pollan.

    As far as compensating Zumba for mochasippis, while weight loss is surely to be a perky side-effect for someone drastically changing their former diet by following food rules and Zumba may be groovy, I am not sure what Pollan is getting at is weight loss. I think it is more about weeding out the poisons that we currently consume on a regular basis to free the body from "edible foodlike substances." There are plenty of cultures with far healthier diets than our own that are full of voluptuously bountiful bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I eat dinner at my grandparent's house, my grandfather will ask what I would like to drink. They have a fridge and a wet bar full of options, however the only allowed response is MILK. Upon answering the 'question,' my grandfather will bellow, "It's good for ya!" Every time.

    ReplyDelete