Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

waste not

So this may stray a bit from Pollan's food rules, but in the spirit of the weekend and the declaration made in class last week that there are robots that can assess tastes and found human flesh to be like "pork," I couldn't resist.

http://www.rotten.com/library/death/cannibalism/

http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Cannibalism

I find the idea of the acquistion of a certain quality or power symbolically executed through the consumption of a specific body part or organ particularly intriguing. It definitely gives a new spin to the worn-out expression "you are what you eat." Or rather you become what you eat. If this were a true effect it (and who is to say it is not), I wonder qualities would be inherited from the eating of a root vegetable. Or the flowering part of a plant (broccoli). I think I am going to experiment this week and attempt to only eat foods I would "like to be." I don't imagine enjoying being "mechanically separated" as is the chicken ingredient of a Slim Jim, nor stamped into shape by molds, presses, intense heat and steam, being mass produced with millions of others that look "just like me."

In a weird kind of inverse of previous attempts in class to avoid anthropomorphism (by Abbey, for example), I will personify my foods. And then decide if I still want those Cheerios.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how someone thinking The Ecological Thought would feel about cannibalism? If there's very little difference between a pig and a human, there has to be even less in the way of difference between a dead pig and a dead human. Is it okay to eat a strange stranger? How do you decide which strange strangers can be eaten, or killed? I'm going to ask Tim Morton about this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this idea of deciding what you eat according to whether or not you would like to be the thing you eat should be proposed to Pollan as one of his new "food rules"! (seriously)

    and, for Amelie above... love love love the question "Is it ok to eat a strange stranger?" Could that not be understood, in part, to be what we are doing when we eat period?

    ReplyDelete