Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Today's Attempt

Alright, as a food journal/blog I feel like I should report some of my attempts at the Pollan challenge.

Today I went shopping with a roommate and (since this is one of the first real grocery shopping trips since we got the book) I figured I needed to pay more attention. So I focused on some of my favorite/ easiest to remember food rules.


6) Avoid food products that contain more than five ingredients.
7) Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce.
13) Eat only foods that will eventually rot.
14) Eat foods made from ingredients that you can picture in their raw state or growing in nature.
19) If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't.
23) Treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food
25) Eat your colors
35) Eat sweet foods as you find them in nature
44) Pay more, eat less



Lets see how I did... (The red is what I feel breaks a rule).


Strawberries - "Driscoll's Only the Finest Berries", Watsonville, CA 95077, Product of USA
Cheese - "The Laughing Cow", Light Creamy Swiss Flavor, (50% Less Fat), Calories 35; Ingredients: Light cheddar, cheddar, swiss and semisoft cheeses (cultured milk and skim milk, salt enzymes), whey cream, sodium phosphate, sodium citrate, salt
Carrots - "Green Giant Baby Cut Carrots", Calories 35; Ingredients: Carrots
Salame - "Columbus Italian Dry Salame", South San Francisco, CA 94080, authentic Italian recipe, slow aged for optimum flavor, no gluten, no MSG and 0g Trans Fat per serving, Calories 90; Ingredients: Pork, Salt, nonfat dry milk, sugar, corn syrup, spices, wine, garlic, lactic acid starter culture, sodium nitrate
Crackers -"Classic Crackers", Minneapolis, MN 55403, Calories 70; Ingredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], Floic Acid), vegetable oil
Orange Juice - "Simply Orange", not from concentrate, pasteurized, Apopka, Fl 32703, Calories 110, contains orange juice from counties USA/Brazil





The worst foods were the crackers and the salame, which are two of my favorite things. However, I did get naturally sweet strawberries and yummy carrots. The plate was very colorful and the meat was not the main food group. I payed a little more for the salame and the cheese, which were delicious, but I guess (because of the salame) paying more isn't always the best. You still have to watch yourself. Other than that, I'm not sure how the orange juice is made from juice from both the US and Brazil?? Not sure about that one..

hmmm well, I tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment