Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Word from Dr. Pollan!

Hey Class! I checked my inbox today and was just tickled to have an email from who other than Michael Pollan! I send him an email from myself, Tien, and Tom on behalf of the class inviting him to view our blog. Here's the original email, and here's his reply:

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:37 AM, cmorris wrote:

Hi Dr. Pollan,

We are students at Loyola University New Orleans, currently
enrolled in a "Green Literature" course that is being
offered here this semester. Our course requirements include
the option of reading and tackling your "Food Rules" as one
of our semester projects, choosing different rules to follow
and posting our results weekly on a class Blog.

Since most, if not all, of the class has decided to pursue
this challenge, we thought that you might be interested in
hearing our thoughts about "Food Rules," seeing what some of
our favorite rules are, and sharing in our successes and
failures as we challenge ourselves to "Eat Food" over the
course of this semester!

Moreover, we would be honored if you would consider
participating in our Blog to view and comment on our posts,
and wanted to invite you to join us!

http://eatersmanual.blogspot.com/

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Courtney Morris, Tien Tran, and Tom Martenstein
Representatives of "Green Literature" ENGLA394


Reply on Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm Michael Pollan

This is great, thanks. Don't think I'll have time to contribute, butI'm looking for new rules, so you might solicit them and send on. I'll let you know which if any I can use-- this is for a new edition.


Are you up for the challenge? Let's come up with some NEW rules for his new edition! I emailed him back and let him know we were definitely interested, so let's show him what we've got!

Post all ideas under this thread, and I'll compile and send them at the end of the semester. Yay!

6 comments:

  1. Oh this is exciting. Thanks for writing in. Well, maybe he'll look at our blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He emailed me again and this is what he said:

    I've already looked at it and it looks
    terrific. look forward to your suggestions.

    I think a suggestion would be to "Drink." Eating is important, but so is proper hydration. It helps with good digestion, provides nourishment for healthy skin and hair, and aids your body in its metabolic processes. Whether its 6 - 8 glasses a day or just a large glass right when you wake up and right before you go to bed, making it a point to get natural, pure water in your system will not do you wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I make a suggestion? GROW YOUR OWN! Cut vegetables & picked fruits lose 50% of their food value in the first hour after harvest. By the time you buy them in the store, they're about as toxic as they are healthy unless you just want to put them on your compost pile. Once you eat pears or bananas from a tree, moreover, you will NEVER buy them in a store again, not even the "organic" ones. Corporations that sell you stored fruits & veggies are actually doing you a disservice, especially when these things are labeled "fresh". Local farms and farmers' markets (or coops that deal in local produce) are the next best thing, and I love them, but there is also something intrinsically therapeutic about the act of gardening, orcharding and animal husbandry, and the more you know how to do, the less you need others to do it or you and charge you money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Hm wow that is the first time I've heard that they lose that much nutritional value. I have heard that vegetables when frozen or cooked lose a lot of their nutritional value, but not anything that's freshly picked!

    I love farmers markets too. But isn't it a big expense to get everything started to grow your own food? You'd have to have a variety of everything you ever wanted to eat, and would be working year round. Not that I'm opposed to manual labor, but I guess I'm coming from a perspective where I feel there would be a lot of time involved, too, which I don't feel I have.

    Why is it that food loses 50% of its nutritional value when separated from the tree? What if you pick it and eat it right then, immediately? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, I'm really actually very curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you compile the list of new rule ideas, could you include: "You are what you eat. Don't eat anything you wouldn't want to be."

    I like it because not only will it help you eat healthier, but it has a built-in ethic--who would really want to be a factory-farm chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Eat Simply. Feast every now and then."

    and

    Can you please talk about the real deal with the artificial Sweetners? What about sweetner made from the all-natural Stevia plant? Would this be considered "ok" to eat?

    ReplyDelete