Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Age Old Money Question

I returned to one of my first concerns about this project this past Sunday. While shopping at Winn Dixie (cheaper than Robert's and Whole foods, but sometimes lacking in quality) I tried, as usual, to stick to the perimeters of the supermarket. I've found, as Courtney mentioned in her post on salad, that buying those pre-made bags of organic lettuce is pointless because I'm only one person and it goes bad so quickly. So I went straight for the salad bar and to my surprise...there was none. Okay, so then I decided to make my own salad with a head of lettuce (only $1.60), cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and salad dressing made from oil and vinegar. That was monetarily comprable enough. However, as I moved past the fish and meats I found no organic products, and at risk of seeming like a snob, none of the cheaper fish appealed to me and I can't afford the expensive kinds (lobster, wild salmon etc). I stopped by Whole Foods on my way home where the only fish I could afford was catfish and I didn't want catfish. Robert's is better comparitively, the swordfish and large shrimp averages around 6.99 a pound, and I only need one pound. However, I still find it a challenge to find meats that I can afford. The cheapest beef in the supermarket has the most fat on it (I know Michael Pollen suggests eating meat that stands on two legs or fish but I like to eat beef in tacos and pasta sauces; this is another post altogether) Organic meats are obviously the most pricey and I haven't found a brand I can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment