Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Food and Waste

I'm kind of having an issue with #61 - Leave something on your plate. Last night, I was cleaning some stuff out of my refrigerator and it really is true that we don't eat 20-30% of food we buy! I don't know the exact statistics, but it's something like that or worse. I threw out some withered veggies, bad yogurt, and some food that has been in there for a week! It just reminded me to not buy or cook too much food that I won't get around to eating. Back to rule 61 though. He says to always leave something on your plate, but without the afterthought of putting it in a container for later. I think he even goes to say feed the garbage can! I feel like you don't have to finish your plate if you save it for later, or just get smaller portions and come back for more later if you really wanted to. I understand his explanation of how as children we were always taught to finish our plate and that has followed us through the years. I still encourage to finish your plate, but only fill it with 2/3 of what you would normally eat so you won't have as much to clean off and you can eat more later.

I actually love rule #52 - buy smaller plates and glasses! I actually heard this on the radio and they said to try it. I usually like eating with a big spoon because I can eat more and go faster, but in theory it makes sense to eat with smaller bowls and spoons. I've been eating with a smaller spoon and bowl and it really has made a difference. You take so many scoops and then before you know it, you don't want anymore! So that helps you not go for seconds and you won't want to get as much either. To also reduce the amount of food I'm wasting, I tend to only cook enough for that day and eat what I have.

I won't lie though, the other day I totally binged on 5 beignets and then had chocolate wafer sticks, and I ate half a bag of croutons! Last night, I had ice cream right before bed too! It was horrible, haha. But I guess we're allowed to break the rules once in awhile. I'm so up for eating half a cake right now = D

2 comments:

  1. I'm having the same problem! I want to buy great food, which I do, but its always too much for a single person. I therefore, never eat half of what I buy and it goes to waste. I would share with the roommates, but its always hard to constantly cook for 5 people with different dietary needs.

    I love small dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a broke college student, I completely agree that leaving 20% of my meal on the plate makes absolutely no sense. It's practically unheard of in my house (if I don't eat it one of my roommates will--in addition to their meal!) So I realize this is kindof an obnoxious suggestion but adjusting our portion sizes could be a better option?

    ReplyDelete