Search This Blog

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Preparation Is Key To Success

So far I am finding the Challenge to be a very rewarding experience, as it has taught me alot about my own limits in terms of willpower or self-control. Lately, I find that when presented with the right food choices, I am quick to stick with the diet plan as I feel a sense of accomplishment after having successfully made it through another meal without deviating off course. But often times I find the hardest thing for me to conquer is preparing those healthy choices ahead of schedule so I do not stray too far from my goal. Like many others with busy lives and crammed schedules, I too lead a life of on the "go". So many times I will opt to grab things when I am out, and it's last minute quick fixes like drive- thru items that always seem to draw me in. I find myself dealing, trading in the fries for just the sandwich, and I might hold off on the additional condiments, or skip a meal to balance the bad food choices. I also attempt to rationalize that the behavior was necessary in making that last minute selection so I don't feel too horrible about myself.

To avoid making these critical mistakes, I have started writing out a grocery list in advance, so that I am not tempted to impulse shop when out. I try to arm myself with protein filled snacks like almonds to stave off hunger pangs between meals, and find filling up on the greens, soups, and other healthier alternatives at the chains is best; a simple philosophy of more of the good, is less of the bad. For me, it is the delicate balancing act between choosing the right "grab and go"selections that I struggle with most on this journey to better health. But with a little more effort in the preparation department, it allows me to remain true to my diet plan, keeping me on course, and following through on my goals that are aligned with Pollan's suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment