Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Since my book has not arrived, I'd like to comment on the recent avocado craze that is going on. I have noticed when I order a sandwich, soup, salad, etc. there are avocados on or in it. I never cared for avocados when I was younger but now I am pretty much obsessed. My new obsession has brought me to wonder what these green fruits are and how they benefit my health. After a little research I realized avocados have a lot more nutrition than I thought. They contain almost twenty nutrients and the omega three fatty acids, which are good but too much can cause weight gain. Also it is now known that eating avocados helps fight heart disease.

This sight provides more than enough information about avocados and their value.
www. avocado.org

My favorite recipe for avocados
-one full ripe avocado
-white vinegar
-extra virgin olive oil
-salt and pepper

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you posted your recipe, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. i love avocado too. here's one of my favorite recipes for hot hot weather:

    Raw Tomato Sauce w/ Avocado, Capers and Oregano

    4 medium ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) -- you can also use 1 large can of Hunts Petite Diced Tomatoes, drain most but not all liquid
    2 medium cloves of garlic... minced -- I use 3-4 large-ish cloves, freshly minced [don't by canned stuff]
    2 tablespoons drained capers, minced
    2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, minced -- I sometimes use 1 heaping tablespoon of dried oregano, but fresh is better!
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt (optional, esp. if you're using canned tomatoes, which already contain salt)
    1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional, though great for taste)
    1 pound paste -- I use farfalle, or bowtie pasta
    1 medium avocado
    2 tablespoons lemon juice -- I just squeeze half a fresh lemon...

    1. core and cut tomatoes into 1/2 inch cubes (or, just open can and dump into bowl!). toss tomatoes with garlic, capers, oregano, oil, salt, and hot red pepper flakes in large bowl. i recommend stirring mixture after you add each individual ingredient. set mixture aside for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. taste for salt and pepper, and adjust seasonings if necessary.

    2. while tomatoes are marinating, cook pasta.

    3. while pasta is cooking, cut avocado into cubes and toss with lemon juice.

    4. drain the pasta, shock with cold water to stop cooking process if desired. add desired amount of sauce to desired amount of pasta, and top with desired amount of avocado and lemon. serve immediately.

    if you want to make extra, double or triple the recipe. but keep avocado separate from tomato sauce. avocado won't keep, so make fresh each time. but the sauce will keep for several days. plus, sauce also makes a good salsa!

    ReplyDelete