Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Food Rules: The Edible Experiment, Week Four

Journal Entry
Week Four
September 24, 2010

Rule 3 “Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry”

So last visit to the grocery store I took some extra time to peruse the “organic section” that is laid out in a somewhat separate section of our local supermarket. I started seeing all sorts of things that I had always heard about, but had never actually looked for in a store. “Agave Nectar,” “Turbinado Sugar,” “Gluten-Free this-and-that,” etc. Yet then I came to a product line that advertised each of its products, yes, each, as “No Calorie, Carb Free, Sugar Free, Gluten Free” items, mostly fruit spreads and condiments. ?!?! YUCK?! Ok, so please tell me: How do you make a barbecue sauce that has no calories, no sugar, no carbohydrates, no gluten, and is good for diabetics and people on gluten-free diets? I guess it would have NO TASTE EITHER, RIGHT?! I admit I did wonder how that company stays in business.

I also noticed that all of the packaging for these “organic” and “natural” foods was much more attractive than your typical packaging! I guess they have to make you feel like you are spending those few extra dollars on something worthwhile and good for you.

Although I am not entirely convinced that “organic” is necessarily “better,” I did enjoy visiting that section and am willing to try some of those products in the future, as budget permits! I definitely am more aware now than I was before to be on the lookout for unfamiliar ingredients lurking in my day-to-day foods; however, I will say that some of the ingredients listed on the foods in the so-called “organic” section were unpronounceable too… yet more familiar for sure and more likely to be something that I could in fact “pull from my pantry shelf and cook with.” :)

No comments:

Post a Comment