Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Eating like Royalty.

With my campus meal plan, I am allotted 12 meals a week in the Orleans Room. All-you-can-eat options of breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be overwhelming when everything looks delicious and also disheartening when everything looks less than delicious. This is how it usually works: either I want some of everything or nothing at all.

I am guilty of swiping my card to enter and leaving shortly after with just a banana.

However, today's lunch was delicious! And, more (or less) importantly, Pollan-approved.

I enjoyed the New Orleans Monday staple, red beans and rice (small portion of white rice), a small portion of noodles with tomatoes and squash, *carrots*, and spinach greens with mandarin oranges and blueberries. It certainly was a lunch fit for a "Prince."

Unfortunately, this was my first meal of the day. One of Pollan's most difficult rules for me to follow is to "eat breakfast like a King." I'm the kind of person who rolls out of bed and zombie-walks to class. I really do not have time to eat breakfast in the O.R. [for the record, their breakfast options are eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, biscuits, fruit, and pastries- some healthy options, however I always seem to feel more sluggish after eating breakfast there]. I do have a fridge and stove in my dorm room, but the last thing I feel like doing in the morning is cooking.

~Class Request: How can I "eat breakfast like a King" on the go? Is it possible? Must I cook it myself?

2 comments:

  1. I have a few suggestions to your question:
    Think, quick rolled oats (oatmeal)
    bannanna (you said you like them)
    fruit juice or Milk (soy is my fav)
    slice of whole wheat toast (so yummy)
    You could make this bfast in about 4or5 min. in the morning, so roll out of bed and try eating this it might just make you feel like a King. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could also make yourself a delicious sandwich the night before and eat it on your zombie walk to class...though eating and walking are not two functions I tend to enjoy together (unless its an ice cream stroll in which case I don't think Polland approves).. wheat toast, hard boiled eggs (sometimes I used hummus rather than mayonnaise for health).. you could even throw a vegetable or two on there for colors, red pepper or something

    ReplyDelete