Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lettuce Pray

I bought Food Rules at Tulane's bookstore and went to Le Gourmet, the health-conscious deli near Willow St. The friend I was with bought a bottle of Boylan's natural root beer which was really close to meeting Pollan's standard (ignoring the line on page 77 that "There is no such thing as a healthy soda."). Fruit strips, organic chips, granola bars, even the sandwiches made at the counter didn't qualify and as I'm compiling the rules I can practically apply to my semester the options seem limited when I can find only 2 or 3 items that won't break at least rule #6.

At the same time, it can almost all be condensed to eating natural foods, as unprocessed and close to their natural state as possible. Apples and not applesauce, yada yada. Keeping this in mind is comforting (so is a meal from Popeye's) and the real challenges to creating habits out of Food Rules are my own discipline and ability to pay the prices of quality. And fitting a freezer in here.

I've cooked fish the same way for 3 days, my roommates are eating fruit with me in the mornings, and I'm chewing so, so slowly. So. So. Slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment