Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Margarine vs. Butter

Last Friday I read the text "Food Rules" from cover to cover trying to absorb the information it covered and simultaneously assess how it relates to my own diet. The main issues I will have following this diet stuck me as follows:

1) $$$- As a poor college student, I just cannot afford Whole Foods, organic brands at the supermarket, high-quality meat products (certified organic, farm-raised), buying butter instead of margarine etc.

2) An "industrial-sized freezer" is not practical for my lifestyle (Pollan's suggestion for limiting costs: buying in bulk and freezing)

3) Time- Preparing my own meals, although I try to do this as much as possible, does not always fit in with my busy schedule. Microwaving frozen meals is pretty much my idea of cooking on a busy schedule.

4) "Eating my Colors"- may seem like a great concept, but I've noticed that much of my food tends to take on a yellowish-grainy hue. Mostly pastries, breakfast foods, pastas, chicken etc.

I will examine all of these issues as I try to utilize these dieting rules to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment