Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Local Foods

I've bought grapes and cantaloupe from Mr. Okra, fish at an open market on the Westbank, and peanut butter from Whole Foods. Combining Food Rules with another eating philosophy I heard recently, I'm trying to avoid food altered from its natural state. This idea limits my intake of pasta, bread, butter, granola, anything processed. I don't remember the name of the advocate for the lifestyle, but he prescribed living on nuts and leaves with as little meat as possible and restricting how changed food is from its original form. His logic was that animals in captivity are healthiest when fed foods native to their environment, and that humans are no different.

With these changes, I expect my mood, weight, or energy to change soon, especially with people damning the effects of "ultra-processed" foods. Honestly, I'm anxious to feel the clarity, attitude, vitality-- whatever it is I'm supposed to be feeling.

The cost of our groceries has risen so our refrigerator is kind of empty, but I'm getting satisfaction from my sense of superiority when I eat an apple and my roommate a s'more (his favorite). Even so, I've tried to "treat treats as treats," "break the rules once in a while," and eat junk food as I prepare it. We made cookies without a pre-made dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment