Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

subtlety is key

I've been trying to retrain my pallet to find junk food disgusting. When I eat, I imagine tasting the nutrients in the food and my stomach being happy (somehow imagining my body as its own creature or entity makes me more inclined to want to feed it well, like a pet). The converse goes for "tasting" what chemicals and empty calories junk foods consist of. I am also trying to appreciate more foods that are bland or "don't taste like anything," such as plain oats and rice. I figure if I learn first to like these foods alone, if I introduce more flavors and ingredients later, I will be less inclined to overdo it or add something unhealthy like soy sauce. If my sense of sweet is acclimated to that of an apple, sugary snacks will be too intense and unenjoyable. This is what I hope.

1 comment:

  1. I started to somewhat do the same. I read the ingredients on the label and if the item contains a bunch of chemicals or words I do not know then I try to imagine what the taste is so I will not think it is good anymore. The thought of chemical taste grosses me out.

    ReplyDelete