Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

I disagree

I have decided I disagree somewhat with one of the food rules. I currently do not have my book on me as I type in the library but it is the rule where one should not pay attention to the nutritional information on containers. Example: antioxidants. I think people should be aware of what is in their food and should know what these are and how they help the human body. Of course I do not think it is a food companies responsibility to do so. I like being aware if certain things are in my food. However, it is my job to investigate the claims made. I understand the rule is trying to make things simple but food itself is not simple, at least not in todays world. I think these such words are making people more conscious of what they are eating. Maybe some people read such a label and think "what is an antibiotic." Perhaps this will lead one to know more about their food. Maybe in their findings it will say such and such a food helps fight breast cancer and one will eat more of the food. Also, if people where more aware they would know about such claims as "low fat" and that the products, in most cases, actually contain more sodium or sugar to replace flavors added by the fat.


just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I think what Pollan's getting at is that anything which has a label saying "full of antibiotics!" is likely to be packaged (bad for the environment) in plastic (bad for us), and if it's packaged it's likely to be processed (bad for everyone).

    I have to say, it feels good to eat a fresh plum or drink green tea and think "imagine how many antioxidants I'm consuming!" And I agree with you that that isn't a problem. But anything with an ingredients list probably isn't, strictly speaking, what Pollan would advocate.

    Independent research, however, is awesome. It's how I found out vitamin water is a total scam. Now I get to laugh to myself whenever I see people drinking it. Heheheh.

    ReplyDelete