Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Food Rules: The Edible Experiment, Week Eleven

Journal Entry
Week Eleven
November 12, 2010

Rule 54 “Breakfast like a king, Lunch like a prince, Dinner like a pauper”

This particular rule has always proved to be a challenge for me. I was the queen of skipping breakfast in High School, and it was only after some major health issues later on in my life that I realized that this, among other bad habits I had developed, was the complete wrong course of action.

I’ve since worked extremely hard on eating healthily and really focusing on taking care of my body through exercise and good habits. Needless to say, breakfast is now my favorite meal of the day – so much so that I often eat breakfast for breakfast AND for dinner! Haha!

However, I often struggle with eating a lot during the major portion of the day and having a lighter supper. I was raised on eating a simple breakfast if any at all, a sandwich or whatever for lunch, and then a real meal at dinner time when dad would come home from work and mom would have supper prepared. These habits have stuck with me, and oftentimes, I find myself “waiting” to eat dinner and having a light(er) breakfast and lunch.

Plus, coming home from an 8 hour day of classes with an 1.5 hour commute on either end of that 8 hour day makes me RAVENOUS. So, I usually plan to eat a good amount at dinner.

HOWEVER, surprisingly enough – (or not surprisingly, as Pollan would say) – I’ve really found that if I eat a good breakfast and a decent sized lunch (aka, more than just a sandwich and a piece of fruit or something, maybe add a cup of yogurt and some veggies) I am not at all as hungry later on in the day!

So I guess this rule really does work… if/when you follow it… 

No comments:

Post a Comment