Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Eating Meat

So after reading Don Lepan's animals I couldn't help but feel slightly guilty for complaining about the price of organic and free-range products from places like Whole Foods. My perspective on what I eat has completely changed. Especially considering the fact that I am not trying to feed an entire family (a different problem altogether) I think I can afford to pay more for meat, and eat less of it. I'm also trying to embrace the idea of change a little bit at a time because it's so easy to be overwhelmed with all of the products I feel like I shouldn't be eating, and then end up wandering in circles around the grocery store looking for something acceptable to eat (I did this on Friday afternoon). Pollan's Food Rules goes well with the movement not to eat factory farmed animals-- especially Rule #23 "treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food" and Rule 24 "eating what stands on one leg is better than two legs is better than four legs etc." and Rule #27 "eat animals that have themselves eaten well."

1 comment:

  1. I think about that a lot. Most of the time I feel like I don't have the time or money to heavily consider what I eat. That's a funny though because food is one of the only things I really NEED. I don't buy a lot of meat because I feel like it is expensive and it takes time to prepare. Food should be prepared though and it being expensive is not really an excuse considering how much money I spend on things that i do not need at all.

    ReplyDelete